DanSchwent

Dantastic Book Reviews

Part of the growing Dantastic Empire

Doors - Daniel Brako While humoring a patient who can see imaginary doors everywhere, Dr. David Druas begins seeing the doors himself, leading him to bizarre alien worlds. When his patient winds up dead, Druas is the prime suspect, on the run from the police as well as the mysterious Doorkeeper...

First off, I got this from Netgalley. Thank you, Netgalley!

Doors initially sparked my interest on Netgalley because the cover reminded me of [b:The Drawing of the Three|5094|The Drawing of the Three (The Dark Tower, #2)|Stephen King|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1309281704s/5094.jpg|2113248]. While they both feature doors no one else can see, that is where the similarities end.

My summary pretty much explains the tale. The Doors are an ancient piece of either technology or magic, triggered by an invocation, discovered by accident by Druas patient, in this case. The Doorkeepers' duty is to keep the Doors secret by any means necessary.

Doors uses multiple viewpoints and non-linear story telling to great effect, telling the story from David's point of view as well as some of his friends and building suspense. I really liked the concept of Doors and Doorkeepers.

This is a short review but Doors is a pretty short book. I'd say my only gripe is that I wish it had been twice as long.