DanSchwent

Dantastic Book Reviews

Part of the growing Dantastic Empire

Genghis: Bones of the Hills - Conn Iggulden Genghis Khan had nearly broken the Chin under his rule when an Arabian city refuses tribue, leading to conflict with Shah Ala-ud-Din Mohammed. Has the Khan finally earned the ire of even an enemy he can't defeat...

The concluding volume of The Conqueror trilogy did not disappoint. The rivalry among Genghis's sons Jochi and Chagatai reaches it's conclusion. Genghis names his heir. City after city fall before the might of the Khan.

The Khan's Arabian enemies are depicted as more formidable than any he had previously faced. Even though I knew how it was going to end up, I was still convinced the Arabians would come out on top. I particularly enjoyed the use of the assassins, and their leader, the Old Man of the Mountain. The hashish using assassins never get enough play.

The battles were even more spectacular than in previous volumes. The Conqueror trilogy deserves the treatment Rome got on HBO. Since the Mongols live in tent cities, the budget wouldn't have to be as astronomically high as Rome's.

I can't imagine anyone who read the previous two would choose not to read this. It brings the trilogy to a satisfying conclusion and sets the stage for the next one, focusing on Kublai Khan from what I've heard.