DanSchwent

Dantastic Book Reviews

Part of the growing Dantastic Empire

The Deep Blue Good-By - John D. MacDonald Junior Allen has sleazed his way into a fortune in stolen gems and the daughters of the man who they belonged to want them back. Only Junior is a woman-beating rapist and has left a trail of battered women in his wake. Can Travis McGee get the gems back and take his cut?

This is the first John D. MacDonald book I've read and probably won't be the last. MacDonald really knows how to build the suspense. Junior Allen is a first degree douche bag and a good villain. You can't help but read faster and faster, eager to see him get what's coming to him. The writing is really good and the characters of Travis and Junior are well done.

Why only three stars? The women are paper characters, barely distinguishable from one another outside of their physical descriptions. Some of that may have to do with the time it was written. I caught the fact the JFK airport was still called Idlewild pretty early on, before I saw that the copyright date was 1964. Also, I'm not completely sold on Travis McGee. Something about him rubs me the wrong way. The pages full of his inner musings got a little tedious.

All gripes aside, Deep Blue Good-By was a gripping read. I'll be tracking down the next Travis McGee book sooner or later.