DanSchwent

Dantastic Book Reviews

Part of the growing Dantastic Empire

JPod - Douglas Coupland This was middle of the road as far as Coupland books go. People call it Microserfs 2.0. Since I loved Microserfs, I have to disagree.

On one hand, as a computer programmer, I loved that part of the story. The other things I loved? Douglas Coupland portraying himself as a complete douchebag. Ethan's pot-growing, lover-shooting Mom. The quirkiness of the jPod cast.

Now you're asking yourselves "But what did you hate?" The hatred is directed at the post modern bend the novel takes toward the end. The main characters give each other brain teasers. All of them are wastes of pages. Do we really need 40 or so pages of pi so we can look for the l that he substituted for a 1? That's L and ONE, to make things more legible. The other brainteasers are similar wastes of time.

Not to say jPod is a bad book. It isn't. It just isn't as good as a lot of Coupland's others, like Generation X, Microserfs, and All Families are Psychotic. If you're a Coupland completist, you'll still want to read it. Just do your yourself a favor and get it out of the way early.