DanSchwent

Dantastic Book Reviews

Part of the growing Dantastic Empire

Scar Night (Deepgate Codex, Book 1) - Alan Campbell Deepgate is a city hanging by chains over a nigh-bottomless abyss. There is an organization of assassins called the Adepts of the Spine that works for the church of Ulcis. One adept, Rachel, is charged with two tasks; training Dill, the last archon of his line, and hunting down Carnival, a rogue angel who claims a soul every Scar Night. Only someone else has begun claiming souls and Carnival is taking the blame...

Sounds good, right? So what's not to like? A lot, as it turns out. The writing screams both "first time writer" and "I desperately want this to be epic fantasy." The writing feels really light at times and completely unsuitable for the epic tone it strives for. The characters are pretty flat and the pace is painfully slow. At 200 pages, very very little had actually happened. There was one battle but it was a fairly ridiculous affair straight out of Pirates of the Caribean 2.

That isn't to say there's nothing to like in Scar Night. I like a lot of the ideas presented within and Deepgate is an interesting city. However, the first 200 pages could easily be condensed into 50.

I'm putting this book back on the to-read pile without rating it. I might have a higher opinion of it when I pick it back up. Right now, I'm not in the mood for a long tedious book that's part of a series.