DanSchwent

Dantastic Book Reviews

Part of the growing Dantastic Empire

The Three Of Swords: Swords And Deviltry, Swords Against Death, Swords In The Mist - Fritz Leiber 2012 re-read
Book 1 - Swords And Deviltry:
- The Snow Women: Fafhrd, young skald in training, is torn between duty to his pregnant wife to be and his desire to see the world in the company of an actress visiting the Cold Wastes...

And here we are again after ten years on the shelf, the first tale in Fritz Leiber's Lankhmar series. Was my love for the series misplaced? It was not.

While it's not a magical as later tales in the series The Snow Women does a good job of setting the tone. There were so many details I'd forgotten since my last reading, like Fafhrd alluding to a chance meeting with his future partner, The Gray Mouser. Another thing I didn't remember? How misogynist the tale seems at times. Still, pretty damn entertaining and a lot funnier than I remembered.

- The Unholy Grail:
A wizard is killed by the duke's men and his young apprentice, Mouse, seeks vengeance. But the duke's young daughter is his lover...

The Gray Mouser's origin is told here, closing the book on his past as a wizard's apprentice and sending him on the path to roguedom and his partnerhsip with Fafhrd. It's much darker than the first story and does a good job of establishing Mouser's personality for the rest of the series.

- Ill Met in Lankhmar:
Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser form their partnership after robbing members of the thieves guild. However, their reverie is short lived...

This is the story where the hetero life partnership of Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser is forged and also nicely illustrates why I like the duo so much. They don't go up against the thieves guild because of a grand quest, they go up against them because they're very drunk and their girlfriends tell them to do it. I do not find that hard to relate to in the least. The shit storm of violence at the end of Ill Met in Lankhmar is the best part of Swords Against Deviltry.

Book 2 - Swords Against Death:
- The Circle Curse:
Fahfrd and the Gray Mouser leave Lankhmar behind and explore Nehwon in an effort to forget about the deaths of their lovers.

This isn't as much of a story as it is explaining how the dynamic duo returned to Lankhmar after the disasterous end of Ill Met in Lankhmar. It does feature the pair's first meetings with Sheelba of the Eyeless Face and Ningauble of the Seven Eyes.

- The Jewels in the Forest:
Fahfrd and the Gray Mouser follow a treasure map to a deserted tower in the forest. The tower is not as empty as it seems, however.

This is a fairly typical tale of the pair. The guardian of the tower winds up being pretty cool.

- Thieves' House:
After being double-crossed by Fissif, Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser enter the Thieves' house to retrieve a bejeweled skull.

I found the Mouser's antics in this one hilarious. I couldn't help picturing him doing the generic Monty Python old lady voice while impersonating a witch.

- The Bleak Shore: