DanSchwent

Dantastic Book Reviews

Part of the growing Dantastic Empire

The Judas Goat (Spenser, #5) - Robert B. Parker A quadriplegic millionaire hires Spenser to go to London to track down the nine people responsible for his condition and the death of his wife and children. Spenser quickly gets in over his head and brings in Hawk. Can Spenser and Hawk stop gang of terrorists and earn their reward?

The Judas Goat had the most violence of any Spenser story yet. He and Hawk go through the meat grinder, especially near the end. There's no way the two of them would be able to leave the US after the trail of bodies they left across four countries. If you ever wondered if Spenser and Hawk could throw lead with the best of them, wonder no longer. Not only that, they didn't seem like super-heroes in the process. Spenser got shot in the ass, for God's sake!

The best part of this book, outside of the frequent gunfights, is the relationship between Spenser and Hawk. As I've said before, Hawk's Spenser's true soul mate, not Susan Silverman.

Now that I've mentioned Susan Silverman, why don't I got into the reasons I didn't rate this one higher. For one thing, the Spenser-Silverman relationship nauseates me a bit, like that couple in high school that was always touchy-feely and cooing to one another. "You hang up. No, You hang up... etc."

The other thing that got on my nerves was the constant description of what the characters were eating. Yeah, I know, it's been a staple of the Spenser series since the beginning but I think Spenser and Hawk must have eaten fifteen damn meals in this one! I normally like when Spenser cooks but I don't need to know how tough the veal is after he and Hawk have gunned some bastards down!

So The Judas Goat was pretty good but not my favorite Spenser so far. You could find worse reads for an afternoon in the car dealership waiting room.