DanSchwent

Dantastic Book Reviews

Part of the growing Dantastic Empire

Critical Failures

Critical Failures - Robert Bevan

When Tim, Dave, Cooper, and Julian play a game of Caverns and Creatures with a new Cavern Master, they get more than they bargained for.  Trapped in the game world in the bodies of their characters, can they survive long enough to make it back to the real world and settle the pompous Cavern Master's hash?

Back in the day, around the time the oceans drank Atlantis, I played a fair bit of Dungeons and Dragons.  Sadly, I recognize a lot of what goes on in this book.

Critical Failures tells the story of what many a Dungeon Master would like to do to disruptive characters, i.e. throw them into the game world and teach them a lesson.  The cast isn't quite the bunch of gamer stereotypes I thought it might be but some of them are present, like the noob and the disruptive loudmouth.  More than once, I empathized with Mordred the Cavern Master.

The story is full of humor and actually has some good adventure-y bits.  I think you probably need to have gamed in order to fully appreciate a lot of it.  The humor ranges from Python-esque to dick and fart jokes, crossing from one side of the humor spectrum to the other.

The story ends unexpectedly, not exactly a cliffhanger but not what I expected.  Luckily, I got this and the sequel for 99 cents each so I'm be attacking the second one directly.

If you've ever spent nights drinking Mountain Dew and covered in nerd sweat and Cheetoh dust around a gaming table, this is the book for your.  Four out of five stars!