DanSchwent

Dantastic Book Reviews

Part of the growing Dantastic Empire

People I Want to Punch in the Throat

People I Want to Punch in the Throat: True(ish) Tales of an Overachieving Underachiever - Jen Mann

People I Want to Punch in the Throat is a collection of blog posts from the blog of the same name.

I got this from Netgalley.

Being a regular contributor to two book blogs and a neglecter of a personal blog, I'm no stranger to blogging so I had ulterior motives for requesting this.  I often wonder if people would pay a paltry sum for a distillation of my bloggings.

People I Want to Punch in the Throat covers a wide range of topics, like parents doing their kids homework for them, meeting her husband on the internet, secretly coveting a mini van, hating to clean, her three year old being a racist, getting tricked into going to a swinger's party, and various points in between.  They're all pretty funny.

Jen's writing style is pretty damn funny.  I quoted numerous lines out loud to my girlfriend, who laughed before asking me what the hell I was reading.  I kept picturing TIna Fey playing Jen in a movie or TV version of the blog.

It's a pretty funny read but, no surprising considering the source, you're reading a bunch of blog entries.  It's like reading a collection of Chuck Klosterman essays without all the pretension.  It was really entertaining but I'm not sure I'd want to pay for it when I could get it for free elsewhere.  How many times have I said that... ?

3.5 out of 5 stars.  Funny and definitely worth the time.